Every first Friday of each month at Abril Mídia Digital is Open Friday, a day the teams have to turn ideas into real projects, to study and practice new technologies, to hack internal products and to integrate with other teams. It’s a day without restrictions of scope, anyone can do anything, but all knowledge must be shared with co-workers or people outside the company.
Open Friday happens since 2010 and we had several projects that nowadays are used in production, or got open sourced code, or was presented in conferences. By far, we are having a very good experience with the results from these days.
From now on we hope to share each month the results from it. The Monday mourning right after the Open Friday, the teams gather in a room to share the created initiatives. So let’s share some of the 21 projects done in February, 1st, that were presented today for all teams:
- will.js: a framework to create web components and asset on-demand loading;
- ralio: a command line interface for Rally management software;
- Generic API: a generic resource domain to temporarily fulfill some very specific Platform requirements;
- A recommendation system for IBA;
- Fosformol: A Scrum Retrospective organizer;
- Several performance tunnings or benchmarks (Lua + nginx);
- Hot Engine: A Rails engine to mount another engines on the fly;
- A POC of a responsive design interface for vejasp.abril.com.br
- A parser for Semantic Search;
- A mobile app to ease project management with Rally;
- A POC for image search with Lire;
- Improvements in Ruby course slides.
Above is a picture of the today’s lighting talks.
You can see that some projects already are available as an open source project, so fell free to contribute. If you are interested in any other project that wasn’t shared with public code, please leave your comment and we can start a conversation with the project owner.
Stay tuned to this blog to see next month’s projects.